[VXCMD] Help with Text fields

Peter McConachie pmccon at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 19 00:00:56 CDT 2005

on 18/6/05 10:51 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> OF COURSE you need to use BLOB_WriteData()
>
>> 4. Is there some easier way to add/retrieve large text files ?
>
> It should be easy.
>
> Just forget Binary_xxx methods. They are for BINARY fields.
>
> BLOB is NOT Binary field

OK so far. What I don't understand is how you get data in & out of the
memory buffer. Reading the VXCMD reference I need the following

    put "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE recID=1" into sSQL
    put Valentina("DataBase_SQLSelect",dbRef,sSQL,"1","1","1") into cRef
    put Valentina("Cursor_GetFieldRef",cRef,"cData") into fRef
    put Valentina("BLOB_GetDataSize",fRef) into blobSize
    put Valentina("MemBuffer_Allocate",blobSize) into bValRef    < Line 5
    get Valentina("BLOB_ReadData",fRef,bValRef,blobSize)

>From what I can read, line 5 allocates memory buffer of blobSize bytes to
receive data read from field "cData" of cursor. bValRef is an integer.

How do I get the data from this buffer into say a MetaCard field or other
variable ? How do I put data into this buffer to prepare for a BLOB_Write
Data operation ?

Many thanks,
Peter McConachie