segmentSize

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 14 13:11:10 CDT 2005

On 6/14/05 11:51 AM, "Sean Wilson" <snw at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

Hi Sean,

>> Hard to say what is optimial
>>
>> * for dbs in 5Mb and more I think you can use 8 16 or 32 Kb segment
>>
>> * for very small dbs which will have or MUST have size < 1Mb you will prefer
>> segment in 2KB
>
> Hmmm, but what do you base these suggested sizes on?

Valentina on default set 32Kb

> For example, I could
> give details of field types, max lengths, etc. and you could suggest a
> segment size.

In fact this is not so important parameter IF you not try to make db small.

> But if I had an idea of how you arrive at such a determination I - and others
> - wouldn't need to ask :-).
>
> I guess what I was hoping for was an insightful essay on segment size/page
> size and how it affects BLOB, text, varchar, etc fields. Something that might
> form the basis of a white paper/technote/addition to the kernel doc.

Db.Segment do NOT affect BLOBs and rest!

Db.Segment -- this is how many Valentina allocate disk space when it need
extend some file.

Note, that BLOB fields have own VBLOB.segmentSize,
Which is not the same as db.SegmentSize.