[V4Rb 2] VDatabase.Close

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Wed Jun 1 16:56:30 CDT 2005

>I don't see why it is a mistake not to call Close.  Indeed, it is a
>mistake in my opinion for there to be a Close method.  Perhaps
>you've heard of "resource acquisition is initialization" ... :)
>
>--------------
>Charles Yeomans

Charles, I am not sure why you think that there should not be a
database close method. Or am I misunderstanding? Imagine a program
that can open multiple databases in the course of an execution, think
databases as different documents or datasets. If there was no option
to close a database, any of the databases would stay open until
program quits, requiring substantially more resources. If users says,
he/she is done with a given dataset (database), we should be able to
close it and free resources for another one.

Robert