Can't modify CFMSupport

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Thu Jul 28 11:22:44 CDT 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 10:54 AM, jda wrote:

>>> Hm, thanks. I think I tried that (another machine, so I can't check
>>> right now). It was set to sysadmin. I reset it to me -- still
>>> disabled options. Very odd. I'll play with it some more later,
>>> thanks.
>>
>> You could also open a terminal session and change permissions the
>> old-fashioned way.
>>

> I could if I were old-fashioned (and knew the first thing about Unix).

Ah.  The command you want is chmod.  If you, in your logged-in persona,
are not the owner of the file, then you would need to use sudo, which
allows you to execute a single command as a privileged user.  Here is
the command to make the directory world-writeable.

chmod go+rw /Library/CFMSupport

Start Terminal.app and enter the command at the prompt.  Don't do too
much of this, lest you find yourself renaming all of your computers
after Tolkien characters.