ObjectRefs

Andrew Sinning andrew at learningware.com
Wed Jul 13 11:14:45 CDT 2005

I recently learned that I have completely misunderstood the use of the
objectRef data type.  Now I'm trying to get it straight.

Suppose I want to add 5 entries to an "answers" table that correspond to
an entry in a "questions" table.  How do I do this?

First, I'm going to need the RecId of the entry in the questions table,
correct?  This has to be explicitly requested in the sql SELECT
statement eg "SELECT RecId, * FROM questions...".

Now, to add new records to the answers table, do I just specify the
value of the objectRef field as the integer corresponding to the RecId
of the question?