[v4rb v1] sql help with LEFT OUTER JOIN

Robert Nichols robert at formworkdesign.com
Sun Jul 3 16:31:13 CDT 2005

I am a SQL novice, but have been improving steadily as I work with
Valentina. I have a LEFT OUTER JOIN working properly using v2, but in
an earlier v1 project, I keep getting 602 errors from the following
select string:

s = "SELECT projects.recid,users.shortname FROM projects LEFT OUTER
JOIN users ON projects.user=users.recid"

I've got a lot of project records, some of which do not have related
user records, and I want my cursor to show all project records anyway.

The relationship between projects and users is M:1 (or, if I have
that syntax wrong, one user record may point to many project records)

I believe the string that is working in v2 is using a 1:M relationship.

Is this part of the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert