mac projector from a pc

Sean Wilson snw at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 11 11:40:39 CST 2005

>Thanks a whole load guys, I really appreciate all of your patience and help.
>
>I owe you a pint or two!
>
>Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to try all of this out and I'll let you know how
>I get on.

This whole process is a mess and Macromedia isn't supplying /enough/
information /clearly enough/ for Developers to understand how to go about this.

There are 2 issues you're having - the first is obtaining a split xtra to
place into your Director MX 2004\Configuration\Cross Platform Resources\
folders. Yes you can ignore the error messages about missing xtras and
unstuff your Mac projector on a Mac and manually add the xtra to the xtras
folder, but it is supposed to be easier and in fact *is* easier than that.
You can create a fully self contained Mac projector on a Windows machine
with no need to open the .hqx file on a Mac to do anything other than run
it - no adding xtras or any other nonsense.
1). Ruslan (or paradigma) need to provide split xtras. Or a developer with
a Mac could do so and send them to you. There is a resource on updatestage
for creating them:
<http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/downloads/binaryio/splitMacXtra.sit>
I don't know if this archive is self-contained or not, but the splitting
*must* be done on a Mac (I don't have one available, unfortunately).
Once you have obtained the split xtra (V4MD_Carbon.rsrc and
V4MD_Carbon.data |  V4MD_Classic.rsrc and V4MD_Classic.data - or whatever
the correct names turn out to be) you need to place these into the
Macintosh and Classic subfolders of the above Cross Platform Resources folder.
2). The next thing you need to do is edit your xtrainfo.txt file to tell
Director the corresponding named xtra file to incorporate into the Mac
projector. For example, the Windows xtra is named V4MD.x32. One of the
corresponding Mac xtras is named V4MD_Carbon.xtr (I'm guessing, as again: I
don't have a Mac available to verify). Director needs to know that when it
comes time to bundle the Valentina xtra into the projectors, the Windows
one is named "this" while the Mac one is named "that". As long as the Mac
ones are placed in the correct Cross Platform Resources folder they will be
found - the xtrainfo.txt file serves as a lookup list for name resolution.
Look at any of the existing entries, FileIO for example:
[#namePPC:"FileIO PPC Xtra",    #nameW32:"FILEIO.X32"]
The #namePPC entry tells Director the corresponding Mac xtra name for the
Windows (#nameW32) xtra "FILEIO.X32".

Does any of the above make sense to you? If not, sing out and I'll try to
be clearer. Again - it *should* be possible to create a self-contained Mac
projector on a Windows box, but: you need split xtras (because the Windows
file system kills resource forks) AND you need to edit your xtrainfo.txt
file. Also, you can't create Shockwave projectors for the Mac - the xtras
*must* be bundled into the projector - no external xtras folder.

Cheers,
-Sean.