[V4MD] accented characters (once again)

bibiko at eva.mpg.de bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Jan 5 20:19:59 CST 2005

Hi,

> >Then I copied the database on a Windows PC. The crucial problem all
> characters
> >with diacritics are gone!

> what is your language setting? Did you set it to German?
I didn't specify any language because the data are multi-lingual. All fields are
'ASCII'.

> How exactly you do store the text?
I use the xtra fileIO for reading, create the tables, modify some data, and
store them into the database.

For the huge Valentina Text fields I query data from the DB which I filled just
before, generate some PropLists and save them in the DB.

> Director automatically converts characters in fields and
> text members according to the fontmap.txt, i.e. is does
> a fontmapping for accented characters when needed.
Well, I know and the fontmap.txt file is fine for both platforms. But I only
used lingo variables.

This is the first time that I have such problems and the first time that I used
a MAC for generating such a DB.

Temporary I solved the problem via XML dump on my MAC and LoadDump on my Windows
PC, but the bad thing is now I have two different DBs with the same data because
I copied the via LoadDump on a Windows PC generated DB on a MAC and then I had
the same problem on my MAC?!

Could it be that the xtra fileIO reading routine is different on both platforms?
In my eyes this is the sticking point. If I have a bit time I will do the same
importing procedure on a Windows PC and then I'll try this DB on a MAC.

Hans