Cursor size and memory/speed

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Feb 18 15:14:33 CST 2005

>On 2/18/05 3:13 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>
>>  What about sql option to return only n top records?
>
>If looks deeply, this option really speed up thins or optimise something in
>very rare cases. In most case you still must build full joins, then do
>sorting of all records and so on.
>
>To really get speed up it needs to write quite special algs for major
>operations. Not easy task.
>
>In 2.0 we support syntax, and probably semantic of this,
>Just I think it will not give speed up, just correct result.

Even if the kernel has to do the same work, the amount of data passed
to the caller can be substantially smaller, so for repeat calls (I do
such inquires in a loop, for example) there should be overall
performance increase (may be less for v4rb but more for vxcmd; even
greater when connecting to val server over net).

Robert