[V4RB] Sorting japanese UTF8 in V4RB 1.11

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Feb 8 10:23:05 CST 2005

> > my new app is almost finished and I'm thinking of a
> japanese language
> > version. Does anybody here have experience, what happens to sort
> > order, if you store japanese data as UTF8 in a Valentina db?
>
> For this you need 2.0
>
> > Would you think sorting would work reasonable enough to be
> sold in a
> > product for the japanese market?
>
> You should talk with Lynn about this.

Valentina 2 is ESPECIALLY designed for the Japanese market. That is one
reason why Valentina 2 will also allow for UTF-16 native format databases.
UTF-16 is superior to UTF-8 for sorting Japanese characters. UTF-8 is fine
for storage, but my understanding from our Japan office is that you cannot
reliably sort Japanese characters only with UTF-8.

You can certainly use Valentina 1.11 to build Japanese friendly apps. In
fact, a major Japanese camera company has licensed Valentina 1.11 for the
purpose. However with Valentina 2, we will have a superior, true
multinational ready solution.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President