[V4Rb] Encoding glitch

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Fri Dec 30 13:00:45 CST 2005

I'm seeing a small problem with text encodings in V4Rb 2.0.5.  I'm
importing some records into a Valentina database.  The text is
MacRoman-encoded and contains curly apostrophes; these apostrophes are
lost when I assign the text to a VField.  In particular, if I execute
the following code

c.TextField("description").Value = "Valentina’s"
dim foo as String = c.TextField("description").Value

where the string "Valentina’s" is MacRoman-encoded, foo is set to
"Valentinas".

If I first convert the encoding of "Valentina’s" to UTF-8, then there
are no problems.