problem opening remote database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Dec 30 00:00:25 CST 2005

On 12/29/05 11:54 PM, "Charles Yeomans" <yeomans at desuetude.com> wrote:

> Even after replacing the corrupt files, I was still encountering the
> same problem -- I could open the database, but it had 0 tables.  This
> problem I can reproduce, and it's interesting.
>
> Here is my code:
>
>    dim newDB as new VDatabase(serverAddress, userName, password)
>    dim dbFile as new FolderItem("timedatabase")
>    newDB.Open dbFIle
>
> This looks like it should work, but it didn't.  The problem turns out
> to lie with dbFile.  When you create a new FolderItem in REALbasic like
> this, it assumes that the FolderItem is in the same directory as the
> application.  In that directory, I had a folder called "TimeDatabase".
> So the result, dbFile, was a FolderItem pointing to that directory.  I
> suspect that V4Rb looks at the FolderItem passed to Open, sees that it
> is a directory, and does something with that information.  But of
> course "timedatabase" is not a directory on the server machine.
> Renaming that directory on my machine cured the problem, and I was able
> to get a working VDatabase object.
>
> It seems to me that the best solution is that VDatabase.Open should be
> overloaded to accept a String parameter for remote databases.  Given
> that VDatabase already has different constructors for local v. remote,
> I don't think that overloading Open and Create would take us too far
> away from the goal of a single codebase for working with local and
> remote databases.

I see problem and point, Charles.

Well, it is possible on the other hand, correct somehow V4RB plugin itself,
that it EXTRACT only file name, in case it get FolderItem that point to
local file.

We will try reproduce this and see then.

--
Ivan, please add this into Mantis for V4RB.
This is only V4RB issue