Sizes and checks

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Wed Dec 28 11:52:12 CST 2005

1) FYI: The latest ValentinaKernel_2_en.pdf manual I have (which having no
version number is impossible to tell if is the same current version you
have) on page 74 notes:

    " When using a VarChar field, there is no benefit (in terms of speed or
disk space) to using a value of less than 504 bytes because it stores
characters in logical pages. "

Is this an out of date comment that should instead be using some number like
1022?

2) V4RB Reference page 36 notes for VDataBase.Create that the default
cluster inSegmentSize is 32KB.

What are the benefits or disadvantages of making this bigger or smaller,
such as 8 KB, 16 KB, 64 KB or 128 KB?
Is there benefit to tuning this parameter based upon available memory at
runtime on a users machine, or is it more dependent upon the inherent nature
of the tables and the types of data access being performed?

3) I see lots of good updated info in both manuals.  Great work!  The info
on the inCacheSize parameter for the Init method is very informative and
useful.

4) The V4RB Ref section on "Converting V4RB 1.x projects to 2.0" states:

€ Valentina.Init() doesn¹t return a value anymore. Use the CacheSize
properties to check if the database was properly initiated.

However there is no mention in the Initialization section that checking
CacheSize is a good check to make.

5) I haven't tracked down the reason yet, but apparently when I already have
a copy of my program running that is actively using a valentina database of
a given name, running another program that attempts to create or open an
database of the same name simply dies.  I'm assuming that it shouldn't do
that?   What's the proper check to make for this condition?

Thanks!
--Ed