Benefits of declaring foreign key links.

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Fri Dec 23 16:12:40 CST 2005

On 12/23/05 2:28 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 12/23/05 6:25 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but one would only need to use FindValue(anRid) to go from the parent
>> to the child.  When going from child to parent one can simply use the
>> ObjectPtr as the recID or one can instead use a UByte or UShort value_Ptr to
>> the RecId field of the parent table as if it were a BytePtr or ShortPtr.
>
> Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
>
> You keep in UByte or UShort value_Ptr    RecID values.
>
> So yes this should win always. Because files are smaller.

Yes.  And we've discussed this before, and I have proposed BytePtr,
MediumPtr, and ShortPtr before which you have previously proclaimed as a
"good idea", and I believe these are already in Mantis.

>> Ok.
>>
>> Unless you find anything to disagree with in what I've said here, I think I
>> now the issues involved very well.

Ok, now I think we're in synch.

Thanks!
--Ed