Vcomponents in Mach-O Package

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 20 18:27:32 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

Right.  This is going to cause me a major problem.  I really, really wish
this was stated somewhere, as my past two weeks of work have been wasted if
I can't include VComponents in a package :-(

> Macho app compiled by REALbasic do not work with current V4RB,
>     because it is CARBON,

...yes they do!  As long as it can find the Vcomponents, a Mach-O
application will work fine.  My app works fine on a machine with the
Vcomponents in CFMSupport.

Are you *sure* that there is no way to call in to the runtime libraries from
a Mach-O compile?  I am positive it is possible and easy to do.  For
example, when I run my Mach-O application on a development computer here, it
works absolutely fine with V4RB 2.0.5, as long as the Vcomponents folder is
in the CFMSupport folder.  Why should Mach-O be able to call Valentina from
CFMSupport, but not able to call it from within its own package?  It would
still be using the same files.  It is simply a case of asking it to look in
the right place to find them.

> What AppBundler cannot do for you ??

AppBundler will not bundle a REALbasic mach-o file, as it is already
bundled.

> V4RB do not and cannot search in executable_path, because it is CARBON.

Drat.  Any idea when this might be possible in V4RB for Mach-O?  Sorry to
ask, but I'll have to revert back to Valentina 1 if it's going to be a
while.  Which would be very annoying :-(

Guess I should have checked this first before upgrading to Valentina v2.
But because v1.9 worked fine for Mach-O builds, I kind of assumed that v2
would too.

Dave.