UTF sorting and blank fields, and UTF-8

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Dec 12 20:24:56 CST 2005

On 12/12/05 8:14 PM, "Dave Addey" <listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

> I¹m a long-time V4RB 1.9, finally making the switch to V4RB 2.0.5.  So, I
> have a few questions :-)
>
> Firstly, is there a way I can get my SELECT statements to order with blank
> fields appearing *after* all other fields?  For example, if I do "SELECT *
> from songstable order by album", I want everything with a non-blank VarChar
> in the 'album' table to come first in UTF sorted order, followed finally by
> all records with blank album fields.

> It seems that by default, blank fields come *first* when I sort in ascending
> order.

I see what you mean.

Right now no. But you can add feature request into our Mantis.
I believe we can easy implement this as property:

    Valentina.NullsAreFirst as Boolean = true

> A second question - my application reads the iTunes XML file, which is in
> UTF-8 format.  What is the best way for me to write this to a V4RB database,
> and read it from a database, to avoid the REALbasic UTF-8 strings being
> converted to another encoding at any point?  I want to keep it as quick as
> possible :-)

You just give V4RB UTF8 strings and get them back.

Internally Valentina will convert them into UTF16.
You cannot change this. Conversions task just 1%