FindLinkedSingle ?

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Sun Dec 11 23:19:17 CST 2005

Gack!

There's no FindLinkedSingle call in the API.

Any reason why not?

How much of our discussion from earlier today is it worthwhile for me to put
on Manits Ruslan?

Let's see... the possible list includes:

1)     aVLink.Link2Records( leftTableRecID, rightTableRecID )
2)     aVLink2.LinkRecords ( leftTableRecID, rightTableRecID )

    Actually, since RB has supported paramArray arguments for quite some
time
    you could even support:

3)     aVLink.LinkRecords ( paramArray inOrderedLinkRecIds as Integer )

4a)     FindLinked( inRecID as Integer, inResult as EVLink2Result )
            as VArraySet

4b)     FindLinked( inSet, inRecId, inResult ) as VArraySet

along with:

5)     EVLink2Result.kLeftLink =
            EVRecursionDirection.kFromChildToParent
6)     EVLink2Result.kRightLink =
            EVRecursionDirection.kFromParentToChild

and now I guess:

7)     FindLinkedSingle( inRecId, inResult ) as Integer
            // Returns RecId from inResult side

Of these proposals, I'd say:

4a, 4b, 5, and 6 are Low priority since they provide clarity but no new
functionality.

1 or 2 would provide both an efficiency gain and result in cleaner code.
Either would do.  I don't know that VLink2 is defined for V4RB

7 similarly offers a minor efficiency gain and a little cleaner code.

I wouldn't consider any of these high priority I guess.