Death to recursion! Re: Child vs parent records

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Sun Dec 11 10:08:11 CST 2005

On 12/11/05 9:37 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 12/11/05 5:19 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>
>>> IF you will draw records as graph you will get hierachy.
>>> So term FromParentToChilds means how you want move in hierarchy of objects.
>>
>> Yes that is true.  And you can talk about this if you want.  It is
>> interesting.  It may even be useful.
>>
>> But it is NOT necessary to understand and use FindLinked if you can specify
>> whether you want to get a VArraySet of LeftLinks vs getting a VArraySet of
>> RightLinks.
>>
>> Specifying Left and Right is always clear.  Referring to "Parent" and
>> "Child" is not clear and offers the opportunity for error if you define your
>> table wrong and end up using kFromParentToChild backwards.
>
> Okay,
>
> Try to make description of this function which is good from your point of
> view.

What I would like to see are:

    aVLink.Link2Records( leftTableRecID, rightTableRecID )

    aVLink2.LinkRecords ( leftTableRecID, rightTableRecID )

    FindLeftLink( rightRecID )
    FindRightLink( leftRecID )

A quick interim fix I will use with FindLinked in the mean time is the
equivalent of:

    const kGetLeftLink = EVRecursionDirection.kFromParentToChild
    const kGetRightLink = EVRecursionDirection.kFromChildToParent