Death to recursion! Re: Child vs parent records

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Dec 11 16:44:48 CST 2005

On 12/11/05 3:30 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

>> I like this example:
>>
>>     Table Person with recursive link HaveBorn
>>
>> So we have here in fact link 2 : M which still is M : M.
>> Right?
>>
>> Now let we take Person with RecId = 1024,
>>  Let this will be Ruslan.
>>
>>         res = Born.FindLinked( 1024, Person, Person, ???? )
>>
>> So whom you want find?
>>
>> A) Children of Ruslan:
>>
>>     childs = Born.FindLinked( 1024, Person, Person, kFromPArentToChilds)
>>
>> b) Children of Ruslan:
>>
>>      parents = Born.FindLinked( 1024, Person, Person, kFromChildsToParent)
>>

> Based on this response, my guess is that that what you mean by this is the
> same as:
>
>      FindLinked( inRecID, inTableA, inTableB, anEVRecursionDirection )
>
> Where:
>         EVRecursionDirection.kFromParentToChild means kGetTableALink
>            implying that inRecID is aTableBRecId
>
>         EVRecursionDirection.kFromChildToParent means kGetTableBLink
>            implying that inRecID is aTableARecId
>
> If you say this is true, then I now understand how FindLinked works and I
> will define these constants and ignore all of the discussion of recursion in
> the documentation -- which I believe is irrelevant, confusing, and
> unnecessary.
>
> If you say this is not true, then I am still confused.

This is other side of truth.

This LAST parameter is required only for recursive link. We have told about
this before. When you have 2 table Left and Right all is simply.

YES, you CAN think about recursive table as about 2 tables.

But we use recursion params and description in docs BECAUSE
you HAVE RECURSIVE link in fact.

The TIP: "I can think about it as 2 tables", do not eliminate fact of
recursive nature if link.

You see?