Default maximal length for VarChar Re: VChar vs VText

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Thu Dec 8 08:21:08 CST 2005

On 12/8/05 2:57 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 12/8/05 7:41 AM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>
> For field with single byte encoding, you will be able use VarChar[2044].

Ok, let's do the math one more time.  I suspect the number 2044 may be
wrong.

We have a 4096 byte page less (8-byte page header) less (4 byte
string-length-header for each of 2 strings)
  = 4096 - 8 - (4 * 2)  = 4096 - 16
  = 4080 bytes for storage of actual string data,
  or 4080 / 2 = 2040 maximum storage bytes for each of two strings
  which in UTF-16 with two bytes per string
    = max 1020 characters per string.

Correct?  Or did I get it wrong?

> You know, may be you can TRY to mark some field as

>     fld.StorageEncoding = "MacRoman" or "Latin1"

Do you mean to say that if I TRY this by marking a field as MacRoman or
Latin1 and it does not crash, then I may be able to store 8-bit character
strings in V2?