Sets from Cursors Re: VCursor.AddRecord

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Dec 3 10:27:08 CST 2005

On 12/2/05 5:54 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

Hi Ed,

>> Cursor must be ReadOnly = false
>>
>> In fact, such cursor do not have own records. It work over original
>
> Which cursors do not have their own records?
> ReadOnly = false cursors?
> or all cursors?

Not all.

Cursor -- is RESULT of SQL query SELECT.

You can note that SELECT can be on SINGLE table or to few tables.

Single table SELECT return you cursor which you you can modify.
    it have no own records AT LEAST right now. Future we can add options.

Few table cursor (JOIN) -- is READ ONLY cursor.
    a) simple joins do not require new table
    b) e.g. GROUP BY do

You as Develop actually should not care if exists tmp table or not.
Only you can check: if cursor is read only or no.

> Essentially you're telling me that the cursor you get back when readonly =
> false is internally a bitSet or an ArraySet.

It is MORE COMPLEX structure than ArraySet,
But yes it do USE ArraySet

>    Is there a technical reason why you could not provide the functions:
>
>        VCursor.AsArraySet() as VArraySet
>        Vcursor.AsBitSet() as VBitSet

No.

Just they should be used only for single table cursor.

> Which is different from the question:
>
>    Is there a philisophical reason why you would NOT like to provide these
> functions?

In Mantis exists such request.

Or ... In was request to add ability convert
    ArraySet into Cursor...and this is more hard, because also it needs
    specify fields...and I do not see huge advantage...