question on what type of field to use

Damon Pillinger daisychain at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 23 16:13:15 CDT 2005

thanks

Best Regards

Damon L. Pillinger
Jensen 2005 by Daisychain
www.daisychain.no-ip.biz
Phone : 03 9532 1220
Fax : 03 9532 1280

-----Original Message-----
From: valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net
[mailto:valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net] On Behalf Of Ruslan
Zasukhin
Sent: Tuesday, 23 August 2005 4:10 PM
To: valentina at lists.macserve.net
Subject: Re: question on what type of field to use

On 8/23/05 3:10 AM, "Damon Pillinger" <daisychain at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am changing the user setting section now and want to know what would
> be the best field type for a printersettings string
>
> pagesetup=new printerSetup
> pagesetup.setupString=printscmstring    <--- this is the string
> g=openprinter(pagesetup)
>
> The string contains text and any other characters i.e. chr(0) to
> chr(255).

Chr(0) -- Then you can choose from VarBinary and BLOB.

But it seems was report that VarBinary and FixedBinary are broken.
Report still in Mantis.

So only choice for now you now is BLOB,
I think BLOB[256] will be ok.
Note, 256 -- is NOT a max limit, this is just segment size.

> In the past I have had to UUENCODE the string before saving to ensure
it
> stays in the correct format but with Valentina I might not have to do
> this.

> What is the best string field?

You have NOT string. You have pure binary data.

> Usually a field of type string does not do the job unless it is
> UUENCODED, well using RB DB anyway.

Right. Because String and VarChar cannot keep strings with chr(0)
inside.
Because chr(0) -- is the END OF STRING.