[V4RB] Mac OS X .app bundle (REALbasic deployment question)

Malik Djelil (AlterConcept SAS) malik.djelil at alterconcept.com
Fri Aug 19 21:07:52 CDT 2005

> From: Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:00:37 +0300
> To: "valentina at lists.macserve.net" <valentina at lists.macserve.net>
> Subject: Re: [V4RB] Mac OS X .app bundle (REALbasic deployment question)
>
> On 8/19/05 3:32 PM, "Malik Djelil (AlterConcept SAS)"
> <malik.djelil at alterconcept.com> wrote:
>
>> About the CFMSupport:
>> - This solution (1 /Library/CFMSupport/CVomponents/) can be a problem in
>> this situation: On the same computer, two different applications can be
>> compatible with two different versions of the VComponents.
>
> Right,
>
> And you MUST NOT deploy into this way!
>
> Again, for now we promise that will work for REALbasic
>
> A) CARBON/PEF application that is deployed as
>
>         MyAppFolder
>             files dlls ..
>

> B) REALBasic can build bundle for Macho but not for PEF.
>     You still must be able build for PEF the bundle manually
>     or using own scripts. This is not hard.
>
>     then VComponents files must go into MacOs folder.

Ah! Ok! :)
Sorry, I have just understand: bundle BUT NOT Mach-O app.
The bundle must be MANUALLY builded (NOT with REALbasic).
The procedure is:
- Compiling a PEF app. with RB
- Building myself the bundle.

I have planned to use some Carbon Mach-O dylib that I have developed, but I
must convert them in PEF format. It is not recommended -- and it is not
possible with RB -- to use Mach-O dylib with PEF app.

There is an other limitation:
Some Mac OS X features (WebKit and others...) are available only in the
Cocoa API. So if we want use them from RB, we must create a Mach-O app.
Bundle.

>> - As mentionned by Ruslan, I think it is a good idea to implement the
>> following feature :) An API to set a list of preferred paths (a method like
>> Valentina.setComponentsPaths(), I suppose) with the support for the Mach-O
>> bundle internal paths (relative paths).
>
> IMPORTANT.
>
>     When we will get V4RB-MACHO all dylibs will be compiled with internal
>     path to
>
>         Package/Contents/Vcomponents
>
>     you will not be able change this.
>     this is how dylibs work. Do not know why :-)

Do you have a release date for this V4RB-MACHO version ?
I am a "little" interested :)

>> For now, I have planned for my future application to make a standard Mac OS
>> X package (.pkg) to install the Vcomponents.
>
> Do not make SEPARATE VComponents folder...
>
> I think problem is that you try do MACHO build, why ?
> Try do PEF build.
>
> And again, if you very want bundle, then you can build it self using
> scripts.

Thanks Ruslan for your help.