timeout problem with "large" table SOLVED

Florian Bogeschdorfer fb at memedia.de
Fri Aug 12 12:04:13 CDT 2005

V4MD1.1 server/client

Finally solved!

Before I explain the bug? Let me tell you this:

For database creation and change I use a text file description. This is read
by lingo and according to the data, tables and fields are created. The
advantage is that when I want to change the database, I just change the text
file - easy. Everytime I open the DB I go through the text file and check
for changes.

Here is a part of the text file:

[TABLE]
DIRMAR_THEMES
[FIELDS]
DIRMAR_THEMES_ID kTypeUMedium indexed unique
DIRMAR_THEMES_NAME kTypeString 50 indexed unique
DIRMAR_THEMES_NOTES kTypeText 128
changed kTypeBoolean
--
-- Table für Relationen zwischen Marketing und Themen
[TABLE]

This works so far but the problem are the field flags. Since a field might
change e.g. from unique to not unique, I simply set all field flags for
every field every time when I open the DB - either 0 or 1. For the flags
unique and nullable this leads to the problem: addRecord() becomes terribly
slow, the more records the slower. Setting indexed flag every time is no
problem.

So while it may not be nice from me to make Vserver work so much, this is
some weird bug inside Vserver, I do not understand.

Thanks to those helping.

Florian

@IGOR: maybe you would like to see the script?