[V4RB2] VText search speed

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Tue Apr 26 07:39:00 CDT 2005

On 4/26/05 3:28 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> And you complain for 2 seconds search ?!
> You really are greedy.  :-))

Oh yes, quite greedy.

I created a test database this morning and, yes, you are right that the
amount of data stored in the field makes a difference. My test db has one
VarChar field and one Text field. If I make the VarChar very large (20,000
chars storing 500 to 2000 words per record) and store a little data in the
Text field (no more than 75 words per record), the search on the VarChar is
slower than on the Text field.

My test database will create records of words, both real and made up, and
might be useful to you for testing. Since I wrote it anyway, would you like
a copy?