[V4RB2] VText search speed

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Sun Apr 24 19:08:35 CDT 2005

I just installed 2.0.3fc4 and one of the benefits is that the initial search
of a VText field is MUCH faster. Before, a FindContains search of the VText
field of 57,000 records, indexed by words, would take about 20 seconds
initially, then drop to about 2.5 seconds. Now even the initial search takes
about 2.5 seconds. Excellent.

But I am very greedy. My database is of about 40,000 e-mails. I record the
To, From, and Subject as VarChar in the main record. The actual text of the
e-mail is in a related table linked as BinaryObject. Each e-mail can have up
to three different texts associated with it: Plain, Enriched and HTML. Each
one of those is a separate record in the related table.

So here's my question: It takes less than 0.25 seconds to do a FindContains
search the VarChar fields (To, From or Subject) that are just indexed. It
takes 2.5 seconds to do a FindContains search the VText field of the actual
messages (about 57,000 records). But since the VText field is indexed as
words, I would expect it to be just as fast as the VarChar search, if not
faster. Am I dreaming?

Also, is there a way to force a search of a phrase on a field that is
indexed by words? For example, I can search for "and" and "the", but "and
the" yields no records even though they have to be there.