V4MD - reusing recids

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Tue Apr 19 10:29:47 CDT 2005

Hi,

I have a project using Valentina 1 for Director. The database will be updated
each year by deleting a bunch of old records and adding a bunch of new ones. But
about 80% of the records from one year to the next will be preserved.

My problem is that I'm trying to use the recids in my application to store
little lists of database records for the user to save. So they might put 5 or 10
items into their custom list, which might be articles or images, but are
referred to internally by their recid. Then I realized that next year, when I
update the database, some of the existing recids will be reused. So a person
might have saved an article on one topic and the next year they'll pull it up
and it could be a different article.

Is there a way to "lock" all recids so new ones are always generated, perhaps
based on the highest existing recid? The idea is that no old, deleted recids
would get reused.

Any suggestions/solutions appreciated.

-SR

Scott Runkel