V4MD basic problem.

Gregory Kowalski gregkowalski at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 15:13:12 CDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 6:06 AM, valentina-request at lists.macserve.net wrote:

>> But I am still having a strange problem with the
>> valentina.logToFile(true, false) expression:
>>
>> here is what I have:
>>
>>    valentina = new (Xtra "valentina")
>>    valentina.debugLevel = #klogfunctions
>>
>>    valentina.logToMessageWindow = true
>>    valentina.logToFile(true, false)
>>    valentina.init ( 8 * 1024 * 1024, "", "")
>>    gdb = new(Xtra "VDatabase", #kLocal)
>>    gdb.open(the moviepath & "v2test.vdb")
>>
>> 1. I type the code in and run it - it works fine.
>>
>> 2. I quit Director (MX - MAC) then launch director again and run the
>> movie - CRASH! (it worked fine a moment ago!!)
>
> So please send us
>
> - log of crash
> - this project for test.
>
>> 3. I do the above several times to make sure. Crash always occurs with
>> "valentina.logToFile(true, false)"
>>
>> 4.I launch Director again, delete "valentina.logToFile(true, false)",
>> run the movie - wonderful.
>>
>> 5. I add "valentina.logToFile(true, false)" again run the movie -
>> great.
>>
>> 6. I quit director, relaunch it and run the movie - crash again at
>> "valentina.logToFile(true, false)"
>>
>> Go figure...
>>
>> Everything is OK though without "valentina.logToFile(true, false)"
>>
>> Also no matter what I do my log file is always blank... I can only get
>> the functions to appear in the message window.
>>
>> I guess that's enough for now.
>
> Aha, Gregory. Please download again archive from site!
> Problem with blank log was fixed 4-5 days ago.
> I think other problem will go away also.

Hi again,

I downloaded the xtra again only to find that it is the same version as
the one i was using. The problems therefore persist.

I'll be happy to send you the project, but all you have to do is paste
the following few lines into a movie script, run it and watch it crash.

global gDb
global valentina

on startmovie
   valentina = new (Xtra "valentina")
   valentina.debugLevel = #klogfunctions

   valentina.logToMessageWindow = true
   valentina.logToFile(true, false)
   valentina.init ( 8 * 1024 * 1024, "", "")
   gdb = new(Xtra "VDatabase", #kLocal)
end

on stopmovie
   gDb.close()
   valentina.shutdown()
   gdb = 0
end

One more question:

Where can I find info about Vcomponents and publishing?  Do these have
to be shipped with final product and installed??? Or does V4MD2 work
just with the xtra as V4MD 1.1 did?

Thanks

Greg