[V4MD ValentinaStudio Mac] some questions

peter salomon peter.salomon at gmx.net
Mon Apr 4 12:12:49 CDT 2005

hi there,

i´ve some questions, perhaps someone can help:

using Vserver and V4MD and ValentinaStudio  all the latest version

1. permissions:
a.
Db files created by V4MD2 in LOCAL mode:   i´m as user the owner and
have readwrite permissions
 i can work on files. OK
b.
DBfiles created by V4MD in REMOTE mode: system is the owner, user has no
writepermissions.
if i want to work with Db ( local OR remote mode) ican´t.
I always must change settings manually via FinderInfo.

Is there a possibility to set permissions to readwrite to DB for user
AND system after creation ( local AND remote mode)?

2. ValentinaStudio2
i never mangaged to access VServer via ValentinaStudio.
VServer is up (works with v4MD)
I want  to connect on "localhost" as "sa" "sa".
if this id is not nkown issue, i report errormessage this evening  ( as
i remember it was "connection could not established" or st. like this).
Is it a known problem of Mac ValentinsStudio or is it me?

3. SQL - API Question:

i have a table "t"  with e.g. 50 fields, one of them is named "test"
in "test" records contain strings, sometimes repeated, i do not know
what is in there
e.g.:
id 1 "aaa"
id 2 "bbb"
id 3 "aaa"
id 4 "ccc"
id 5 "ddd"
id 6 "aaa"
id 7 "bbb"

i want to have cursor OR VSet containing all strings only ONE time: -->
"aaa" , "bbb" , "ccc" , "ddd"

As i understood API way this could be my concept of consructing

step 1:    first find and readout string in firstrecord in this case "aaa"
step 2:    find all records with "aaa" gives me Set with records 1,3,6
step 3:    invert selection from table so i have remaining records 2,4,5,7
step 4:    repeat while table has records: steps 1+3 again  to find
other strings

but sounds a little bit complicated. perhaps you have better suggestions?

i somewhere read that it´s better to avoid API Way on remote Client
Server concepts. Is this because API way´s results contain always
complete record and not selection of fields?

regards,
Peter