V4MD basic problems

Gregory Kowalski gregkowalski at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 19:25:10 CDT 2005

> I downloaded  V4MD version 2 - unregistered - and am finding very
> difficult to do any testing.
>
> Most irritating is that code that worked a moment ago gives errors and
> stops working.
>
> I mean ALL the code...
>> What is the exact error code you've got?

I solved the problem checking out your example files.  It turns out
that I have to create an instance that is nowhere in the documentation
(but in the examples):

valentina = new (xtra "valentina")

It seems to me this vital piece of information should be mentioned in
the docs.  (or is it? I couldn't find it)

But I am still having a strange problem with the
valentina.logToFile(true, false) expression:

here is what I have:

   valentina = new (Xtra "valentina")
   valentina.debugLevel = #klogfunctions

   valentina.logToMessageWindow = true
   valentina.logToFile(true, false)
   valentina.init ( 8 * 1024 * 1024, "", "")
   gdb = new(Xtra "VDatabase", #kLocal)
   gdb.open(the moviepath & "v2test.vdb")

1. I type the code in and run it - it works fine.

2. I quit Director (MX - MAC) then launch director again and run the
movie - CRASH! (it worked fine a moment ago!!)

3. I do the above several times to make sure. Crash always occurs with
"valentina.logToFile(true, false)"

4.I launch Director again, delete "valentina.logToFile(true, false)",
run the movie - wonderful.

5. I add "valentina.logToFile(true, false)" again run the movie - great.

6. I quit director, relaunch it and run the movie - crash again at
"valentina.logToFile(true, false)"

Go figure...

Everything is OK though without "valentina.logToFile(true, false)"

Also no matter what I do my log file is always blank... I can only get
the functions to appear in the message window.

I guess that's enough for now.

Thanks for your help and attention

Greg