Valentina 2.0 and RB 5.5

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Apr 3 10:25:36 CDT 2005

On 4/3/05 1:37 AM, "Dimitris Tsarouhas" <mitsakos at helmug.gr> wrote:

>>> 1. The Valentina database files are stored in a database folder, like
>>> REALDatabase? (so I assign a folder to the db.databasefile?)
>>
>> No. you can put Valentina db file(s) when you want.
>>
> so, the new file(s) are created and controlled automatically by the
> plugin?

May be I do not correctly understand your question.
Please formulate question again.

Valentina put db files where you will specify in db.Create or db.open()

>>> 2. Tables with indexed fields on REALDatabase are querried faster, but
>>> insert records slower. With valentina, is it a performance problem to
>>> have one or two fields per table always indexed, or is this a bad
>>> practice too?
>>
>> This is rule for ANY db.
>> You must have indexes. And often you should have a lots of indexes.
>> This is trade of.
> Do you advise me to never drop the two main table indexes?

Of course no. Even do not pay many attention to this.
Only if you will meet real problems then it needs study them.

> Currently I
> drop the indexes when I am in 'insert records' mode, to gain some
> speed,

Many inserts ?
Ah, yes, this trick can work.
Although you should do really many inserts comparing to the current record
number.

> and I create again the indexes when I do 'querries'
> Is there anywhere on the net some 'general speed tips' for database
> operations that I could read? I have rather limited knowledge of
> databases and SQL :(

Hard to say.

Each db can have own "tips"