[V4MD MAC] throwout and unregister

Peter Salomon peter.salomon at gmx.net
Sat Apr 2 11:51:35 CST 2005

hi ruslan,

i´ll try o understand your intention of "trowout". let me repeat:

in local mode:
files are deleted from disk

in remote mode:
record of masterDB wich stores filename and filepath will be deleted
files remain on disk

> Because that db can be used by other users...

may be i do not understand - but it does not seem to make sense for me.
Other users (if they are in remote mode) cant use it, because its
already registered out.
if they should use db again, simple db.close() seems enough...

does it make any sense to have dbfiles on disk which are not registered?
  if i need them open in local mode i simply open them, no?

Am 01.04.2005 um 23:43 schrieb Ruslan Zasukhin:

> On 4/1/05 10:56 PM, "Peter Salomon" <peter.salomon at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
>> It runs really! can now connect to vserver and log file works also.
>> wonderful! now i was able to start playing a bit and started to
>> convert
>> older 1.x project to 2.x.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> and here are todays questions:
>>
>> throwout()  deletes files in LOCAL mode. In Client mode not - so e.g.
>
> Yes, I think this was our target.
> Because that db can be used by other users...
>
> Igor, comments ?
> It seems to me we can throw out files of closed db...
> Or you want to say that db under server always is opened?

no no..

>> example runs "only" one time, the second time an error occurs, telling
>> that db already exists which is correct.
>
> It is possible to trash db files manually.
> So Vserver will create them again without complains.

you mean masterDB, right?

yes, i tried that already, but what if i have multiple databases under
control of VServer?
And i want only ONE of them to be deleted...
I would need to register all the others again if i trash masterDB...
and also all users and passwords...

And lets imagine that VServer and also all the databases are running on
a remote system, e.g. at a isp homingservice or somewhere else.
I have my admin rights and want to administer the db´s. If i call
trowout, i want also the files to be deleted, no? otherwise i would
call unregister...

i expected the function to do the same in local mode but also in remote
mode.

>> so i tried a small script:
>>
>> on unregisterDB
>>    VServer = new(xtra "Vserver", "localhost", "sa", "sa")
>>    if not objectP(VServer) then
>>      beep
>>      alert "Cannot set reference to VServer Xtra!"
>>    end if
>>  	 if objectP(gDb) then
>> 		gDB.close()
>> 		gDB=void
>> 	end if
>>    VServer.unregisterDatabase("Database1.vdb")
>> end

now, where i read the code: do i need to call opensession first? i´ll
give it a try...