[V4MD] API string search, dir example request

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Apr 1 10:27:15 CST 2005

On 4/1/05 9:34 AM, "info at vallemediatime.com" <info at vallemediatime.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ruslan ann Igor,
> I need to know if  is possible to make this common search method:
> 1a. search in ONE TABLE in ALL FIELDS and show ALL fields
> 1b. search in ONE TABLE in ALL FIELDS and show custom list of fields (F1, F4,
> F7...)

> 2a. search in TWO (or more) LINK BINARY TABLE and show ALL fields
> 2b. search in TWO (or more) LINK BINARY TABLE and show only custom list of
> fields (F1, F4, F7...)

Paolo,

You always think in SQL way.

    you ask me: If I can do JOIN in API way.

Answer is:
    in API way you MUST NOT do joins.
    If you need joins or IF you like joins then use SQL way.

API way -- this is navigational way.
    you have one record in T1.
    you find N linked records in T2.
    you go to first of that record.

>> From the previous your answer I understand that it's possible but with more
>> repeat-loop code, it's right?
>
> Can yuou make some example... the actualy example are basic...

> Actually the dir example that you have made are:
> -- search in ONE TABLE in ONE or TWO FIELDS (with union etc) and show always
> ALL table's fields

I wonder, have you see this my ala-code for you.

You want NOT ALL fields?
Then make function which get LIST of filed names
And show only that fields. What problems ?   See below:

----------------------
Paolo,

I do not understand what problem you see.

Make some function:
    this is ala code to show idea:

ShowTable( Set, ListOfField )

  --  loop by records
    Table.RecId = N

      --  loop by fields from list
       for each item in list do
           show filed

So later you can do

    set = tblPerson.Field("Name").Find( "something" )

    ShowTable( set, ["f1", "f2", "f3"] )