several db ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 29 16:32:16 CDT 2004

On 9/29/04 10:46 AM, "olivier" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver.

> Valentina 1.90 RB 5.5.3 Mac os X 3.3
>
> Hi Ruslan and list,
>
> I makes a program which manages several address books (name, first
> name, address, cp, city, telephone, mail....).
> The customer should be able to make comparisons between address books,
> in a simple and fast way.
> Address books can have many addresses (they are intended to make
> mailings). (500 to 30 000 adresses per adress book)
> It is important in this application of power to compare (to compare, to
> deduct, to make requests on the same field), for example, the persons
> in the adress book "customers" and the persons of the adress book
> "prospects".
> ( For example a customer would like to know all the persons of the file
> customer AND of the file prospects who have the same zip)
>
> I hesitate in the choice of the structure:
>
> - A adress book = a db?
> Advantages: very fast treatment inside the adress book. Number of
> infinite possible adress books.
> Inconveniences: treatments between various adress books impractical and
> not expresses.
>
> - A adress book = a table?
> About the same advantages and the inconveniences as the previous
> method. Limited number of adress books.
>
> - All the adress books in the same table?
> Adress book would be identified in the table by a field byte.

Then you can have maximum 256 books

> Advantages: treatments between various adress books fast and flexible.
> Inconveniences: additions and updates slower. Treatments in a single
> adress book averagely fast.
> But I have the impression (thanks to the speed of Valentina) that this
> solution is ideal if all the adress books does not exceed 100 000
> addresses.
>
> According to your experience, that think of it you?
> The last solution seems risky but if the customer manages on average
> 1000 at 50 000 addresses, it is optimal?

Since you need compare records from different books,
YES -- the best way to have them in the single book.

Actually on AVERAGE modern hardware Valentina will easy answer on tables in
millions of records. Marcus have report that query to 28 million table was
in 0.2 of seconds or him (and that was G4 it seems).

Just on some reason you test on OLD hardware.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com