big table or several littles tables ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 27 19:15:09 CDT 2004

On 9/27/04 7:15 PM, "olivier" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>> User enter you some city for search.
>> What you will do next if you have 10 tables?
>>
>> IF you have way to search only ONE OF 10 tables,
>> Then of course you will get win.
>
> Yes naturally, If I divide into ten my big table, each of these 10
> tables will correspond to certain zip.

Then this is great!

> Thus according to the zip entered by the customer, the program will
> know about which table it will be necessary to make the search.
>
> What is the best optimization (speed of calculation + cache + ACCESS
> HARD DISK)?
> 40 tables of 20Mb? 10 tables of 80Mb? 1 table of 800Mb? (cache 20Mb ?)

Oliver,

Problem not in cache and other parameters.

Optimization can be done only by YOUR algorithm here.

In case above you say, I can by SIMPLY CASE reduce the area of search in 10
times!

If you can in the same way reduce area in 100 times then this is even more
great!

Important to see, that if you have 10 tables, then you still can get the
words case

* each next query do search in other table.
    in this case each time new and new files will be loaded to cache.

* but still SINGLE SEARCH with be faster of search on one big table.

The best case is when you do searches and all 100 on the same small table.
Then it will be in cache, and searches will be faster.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com