joins are slow ?

olivier vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Sat Sep 25 14:05:46 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan and list,

> It is always good idea put smaller table on left in the join condition.

OK but that does not improve the speed a lot in that case.
I tried all the possible combinations, the speed varies little but not
of big improvement.

> In fact developers say that joins in Valentina are very fast.
> So you need to search for problem.

It is two very simple tables with the join.
only one I do not see where I can correct the problem.
I tried with the other data, with the visql, with the valentina studio.
I have reindexed the db, made a diagnosis. Nothing.

> Next. What size of cache you use?
> Make sure it is 10-20 MB.

I tried 5,10,20,100 Mb of cache. No change.

I tried with the db of example DELIVERED WITH VALENTINA (tables Person,
Task).
With approximately the same number of data and a not very precise
clause (SELECT * FROM person,task WHERE byte_fld <10),
it is very slow...

Requests with  a unique and not precise clause (>, <) are very slow.

How to correct it ?

thank you

olivier