How do I use the setMethod function in V4RB

Kevin Windham kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Fri Sep 24 00:41:40 CDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:21 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Please look on page 26 of V4RBReference.pdf
>
> When you create field you need send text of method as ONE MORE
> parameter.
>
> Must be
>
>     CreateField(
> fFieldName.text,pFieldType.RowTag(pFieldType.ListIndex),
>                 0, 0, fMethodText.Text )

On page 35 of V4RB reference it says:

mFullName = new VVarChar( “FullName”, 504 )
mFullName.SetMethod( “CONCAT(FirstName, ‘ ‘, LastName)”  )

Oh, I think I get it now. I am confusing the class style methods with
the new stuff. I am using server and creating tables on the fly. So
what are the restrictions on modifying a field after it's created. Can
I change the method, or do I have to delete the field and create a new
one? I am finding myself searching through the docs over and over to
find what I can do after I have a database to modify it. What I want to
do is build a system for dynamically generating tables to store class
objects. I also want these objects to be able to automatically add new
data fields if they are changed and there isn't a field available to
store a particular property. It is getting tedious trying to sort all
this out.

I've noticed that there is a function changeType, but very little is
said about what can actually be changed. For instance it does not
mention whether a number field can be changed to a string. Should I
assume that if it is not mentioned specifically that it can't be done
and I would need to code that myself?

Thanks,
Kevin