can't start VServer on Windows 2000 Server

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 15:20:53 CDT 2004

OK, I'm going to try to explain this, and hopefully
it'll all make sense. :-)

I've got an application that uses the embedded
Vserver.  I've created a custom installation program
that installs the necessary files to the file server,
then registers and starts up the database server.
Usually, this works fine under any version of Windows.
 But I've now had two customers that have called in
with the same problem running on Windows 2000 Server.
At the point that my installation program is supposed
to start the server, they're getting error 10061.
Basically my installer is just running the server
executable with the -i option (to register as a
server) and then with the -s option (to start the
service).  What's weird is that the registering part
seems to work fine.  In other words, if they open the
list of services, it's there, but not running.  Trying
to start it manually from there results in  "error 5,
access is denied".

So then we noticed there was an error log that had
been created.  Opening that shows an error that says
something about an installer failing because of a
missing argument (this is the error log created by
Vserver).  And if I have them open a command prompt
and try to start the service from there, we get yet
another error that says a file or directory could not
be found, but it doesn't say which file or directory
it's looking for.  I'm trying to figure out what is
going on.  There's about 4 or 5 different error
messages, and none of them really tell me anything.

We've checked everything including permissions,
directory structures, and everything seems to be setup
and installed as it should be, but the service will
not run.

I know this probably isn't much to go on, but can
anyone think of anything that might stop a service
from running?  I can't think of anything else to
check.

Thanks,

=====
Chris Sheffield