VServer beginner questions

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Mon Sep 20 13:22:21 CDT 2004

On Sep 19, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> a string would be the appropriate parameter to pass in this case
>> or let us define where a new db should be created passing a folderitem
>
> No, because then we will have different syntax from LOCAL version.

mmm... so you trade clean code for compatible code here?

your choice, but I see we need new Creator for Server DB
so why can't we have more appropriate Create and Open ServerDB methods?

we certainly are lazy, but not to the point we can't change a couple
lines of code more i think, if that's for clarity's sake 8-)

>> I see you allow a path parameter when registering a DB to the server
>> so
>> why must it live into the Databases folder?
>
> Consistent of API.
>
> Register() exists only in the Client.
> It not exists in the LOCAL.

I don't get it here, if we don't have register in Local
what API we must be consistent with?

then again, what's the use of path parameter?
It would have sense only if you allow register databases that live not
in the default Databases folder

>> BTW what's the Server behaviour when client attempts to create a DB
>> with a name that's already in use into the databases folder?
>
> I don't know. I think will be error of OS 'cannot create file'

DB returns error 1011

and console logs it as:
  12:44:39.998067 (25201152): (13) ERROR #1011: Object already exists

BTW there's a list of vserver error codes somewhere?

>> can we put an alias into Databases folder and pretend it will be seen
>> by the vServer?
>
> Not sure.
>
> In ideal we must make this work.

Vale Studio crashes on connection attempt...
it crashes also if I remove a registered database from the Databases
folder

BTW why "localhost" string doesn't work in V4RB client and I must pass
"" to connect?

one last question,
what's the correct privileges settings for MasterDB and other DBs in
Databases folder?
Installer sets it as owned by System and read only for everybody else
and I see this settings also when I create a new DB in example
(which BTW I can't make to properly work since I can't see any of the
DB contents, it crashes the server with Bus error on DB.RecordCount
call)

Cool Runnings,
Erne.