[Valentina General] using a method to track a recursive path

Daniel Crowder daniel at monumental-i.com
Fri Sep 10 20:37:09 CDT 2004

> Do methods have control structures such as IF, CASE, WHILE ?

I don't think so but even so I would not need them.

Basically, you have a record, object pointer, and a method field called
'path'. The object ptr references the same table to create infinite
parent/child relationships for categories.

Basically  'path'  is a formula that outputs a string.

PATH = MY RECID + SOME DELIMITER + THE PATH VALUE OF RECORD REFERENCED
BY MY OBJECT_PTR

So basically, if you create a new top level record it's PATH field will
be it's RECID. Let's say it's recid is 5 so '5' would appear as the
path value. Now if I create a new record that points to that record
(let's say it's recid is 12) then it's PATH value will be "5,12" and if
I create a new record that points to recid id 12 in the same table it's
path value will be "5,12, 32" since it has a RecID of 32 etc.

I've got a great solution working just fine in lingo - I'm more
interested in learning about how to use methods.