Synchronising dbs from several servers

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Fri Oct 29 08:10:42 CDT 2004

Hi,

I do this at the moment but with TCP/IP across a LAN. What I did was set up
an additional baseobject which is unique to each machine and keeps track of
all changes. This database in that baseobject has four fields - the name of
the database where the change occurred, a unique recid for the record that
has been changed, the type of change (add, edit, delete) and lastly the name
of the machine (or in your case server) where the change was made.

I then use a timer to check every 30 seconds (you could make it quicker)
whether there have been any changes on the workstation. If there are any new
additions to the sync list, these changes are sent across to a main server
and added to the main server's sync list. Then if there are any changes on
the main server, these are sent back to the workstation.

It took a bit of work to get this to go right but I have managed it with
REALbasic and Valentina 1.10. I now have it working with up to 50 machines
on a network talking to a server and syncing whenever they connect.

Hope that helps.

Cindy