Automatic Data Entry

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Wed Oct 27 15:59:02 CDT 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 5:20 AM, Peter De Berdt wrote:

> This is something you have to code in REALbasic (or whatever
> environment you're programming in), not from Valentina (you could use
> a calculation/method field, but this can't be changed). If your
> application is object-oriented, this should be very easy (because your
> object will automatically generate the field). Once you get the grasp
> of object-oriented programming and your framework classes are well
> written, you'll soon discover all the repeating and tedious work you
> need to do in Filemaker simply isn't necessary. If you try to
> maintaining the same workflow of Filemaker, i.e. throwing in another
> field whenever you like, coding in the controls themselves instead of
> thinking out a decent structure, your application will soon become
> unmaintainable.

Are you suggesting that each record in a database system designed with
Valentina is an object in and of itself?

> Once you get the grasp of object-oriented programming and your
> framework classes are well written, you'll soon discover all the
> repeating and tedious work you need to do in Filemaker simply isn't
> necessary. If you try to maintaining the same workflow of Filemaker,
> i.e. throwing in another field whenever you like, coding in the
> controls themselves instead of thinking out a decent structure, your
> application will soon become unmaintainable.

One of the great aspects of FMP is that you have the flexibility to
modify the data file/table, database structure at will at any time.

As the old adage goes, "NOTHING endures like 'change'." We are
constantly changing things. Have a structure that is cast in concrete
makes it very difficult to cope with such a concept as 'change'. But
change it must. Especially if it is going to survive. Most especially
in a competitive environment.

And maybe that's what V Studio is supposed to help with; changing a
Valentina database structure without breaking the application. I
certainly hope so.

Regards,

Chuck