Automatic Data Entry

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Wed Oct 27 15:44:59 CDT 2004

On 27 Oct 2004, at 14:07, Kim Kohen wrote:

> G'day Peter
>
>> you'll soon discover all the repeating and tedious work you
>> need to do in Filemaker simply isn't necessary.
> Get ready for a lot more of this type of question given that RS are
> offering
> Realbasic professional edition for half price to FMP users.  I just
> ordered
> it today because it was cheaper than getting the upgrade from standard
> professional.

No problem, I'm a full time Filemaker developer, but my former job I
was a fulltime REALbasic developer. I still prefer RB over FM, but
one's gotta do what the boss wants you to :-)

> Maybe paradigma could offer a similar deal for valentina:)

I don't think this is necessary: Filemaker Server is more expensive
than Valentina Server, less performant. REALbasic's reduction deal
makes it cheaper than one Filemaker license, and you don't have an
extra per-user license cost. Even if you would opt for e.g. Openbase
and have ± 5 users, you are making profit over buying FM Server + 5
licenses. You just have to take a bit of extra time into account to
design a decent framework. Once you have your framework, development
time is even less than Filemaker. Even the plug-ins for REALbasic, if
you would need them, are so cheap (Einhugur + Monkeybread for example).

Ruslan, is the database now automatically adding fields if the
object-structure is changed (instead of having to open the valentina db
as a generic database, altering the structure and then initializing the
subclass)?

Best regards

Peter De Berdt