Full Text Index Search

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Mon Oct 25 22:17:00 CDT 2004

Hello James,

On 25 ott 2004, at 21:53, James Milne wrote:

> At the moment, I have an interface which allows the users to type in
> search terms, ala Google, into a text field. A listbox is populated
> with records in the table whose comment field matches the search terms
> entered by the user.
>
> The terms are very simple. I don't require support for boolean
> operands. I simply look for any rows in the table which contain words
> starting with, or equal to, the search terms. All the search terms
> must be found in the comment for it to be a valid result.
>
> As far as I can tell, Valentina doesn't support Full Text Indexing
> per-se. You can index on a text field, but the closest you can get to
> a full text index is to use the LIKE operator on the field.

why don't you try the IndexByWords option of Valentina for this?
then you split search field contents in a group of And queries

e.g.
the search field contains "nice girls"
the query will be like
"Where (Left(Comment,4) = 'nice' and Left(Comment,5) = 'girls')"

you can also filter out unrelevant words like "the", "in" etc.

HTH

Cool Runnings,
Erne.