How far can I trust Vserver ?

Eric Ferrer wonderfef at noos.fr
Tue Oct 12 19:15:30 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I've been developing a big client-server application for more than 3 years
now using RB.
Today, a dozen of users use this application all day long for their job
tasks.

My number of users is going to jump up to 40 (and maybe more than that)
because my software is going to be used in 3 new premises.
The Server I developed is not made for so many users working simultaneously.

So I'm now testing Vserver, which is just fine and great according to my
first tests.

But when I read the documentation and some posts on the lists, I ask myself
this question "How far can I trust Vserver?".

Here are the points I'd like hear some feedback from:

€ MaxClientTimeOut
There is no reason my application would suddenly disconnect from the server.
Is the user makes the choice not to quit the application, the application
should not disconnect.
This Vserver parameter sounds important to me, because the manual gives the
example of "having a coffee", which is not very long!
Is is dangerous to keep clients connected all day long?

€ Threads
If I understood, this is the max number of clients connected simultaneously.
The manual says that the recommended values are "5 to 20", which is too few
for my needs.
In another hand, I think I read somewhere that Vserver licence could be
bought up to "unlimited connections".
There must be something I did not understand...

€ Testing with many connections
Does anyone has already tested Vserver with many many connections ?
I'm alone and I can't simulate 20 users working on the database at the same
time!

€ DB corruption and Vserver stability
My application would make an intensive use of quite complex SQL SELECT
statements, and many times some loops would be called to insert, delete or
add records using cursors...
Is that dangerous?
Does the database get corrupted with the time?
Does Vserver happen to unexpectedly quit ?

Thanks all in advance for your feedback!
Eric