Speed Issues From CD-ROM

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Oct 7 17:15:46 CDT 2004

On 10/7/04 4:41 PM, "Milan" <milan at mook.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Milan,

> I'm using the Valentina Xtra for Director on a CD-ROM to perform searches on
> a database of approx. 60mb. Unfortunately, I'm finding the first couple of
> searches painfully slow (I assume these first searches access the .dat file
> and cache it?).
>
> Is there any way I can speed up the search process, or compress the database
> to reduce the wait time?

Actually you can have the next problem:

* you have db
* but you have not index some fields which you try to search

    so Valentina spend time to build index in the TMP folder on HDD.

If this is a case you need study what fields must be indexed.
Or you can play with your db on HDD before put it on CD.

If this is not a case, then probably yes, you see result of
    -- slow CD
    -- caching

You can try do XML dump/load to get the most compact db.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com