Valentina question

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Mon Oct 4 19:19:47 CDT 2004

> Jochen -
>
> Thanks for all if the information.  This was very helpful.  My time
> frame is fairly short - I'm looking for something over the next few
> weeks.
Ok - so let's see how we can help you....

> Yes, we are trying to do transfer data from MySQL to Valentina on a
> regular basis and we're tying to automate it.  I guess my problem is
> that right now I still don't see how this can be done.  On Windows,
> I've tried to do the whole thing from Java, but I haven't been able
> connect to a Valentina database using JDBC.
The current Valentina JDBC driver is old and will not ne updated. We
will get a complete new JDBC driver for connecting
to valentina Server databases in the future.

>  It seems like Studio can't be used to load data from a sql file and
> even if it could, I'm not sure how I would automate a Studio function.
>  Can Studio functions be run and controlled from the command line?
I can easily add this - no problem. Right now you can start Studio from
the command line passing a database which it will open.
Of course we can add some more commands here.
On startup right now a JavaScript file called "Startup.js" is executed
by Studio's JavaScript engine. By default this
Script opens the Navigator and it can also open Valentina database
files.

> Could Studio possibly be used for the whole thing (retrieving from
> MySQL also)?
I think yes.
Right now you can easily IMPORT data from MySQL (via ODBC) and store it
in a Valentina database.
You can use the Import Wizard for this.
Note: This will do no processing of the data. You can only specify
which field from the source database should go to
which field in the destination database.

I can improve the Import Wizard in the following way:
1) Adding a Script option
This means that you can specify a JavaScript which will be executed for
EACH record during import.

2) Adding field-access to JavaScript
This means i must add JavaScript commands to access the fields in the
current record. Get and Set methods.

This way you would be able to do some data processing in JavaScript
during the import - what you think?

Jochen Peters
PIIT GmbH