V4WS need to use semaphores when READ from table in case cause simultaneous indexing?

Steven srt at bigpond.net.au
Sat Nov 27 11:03:35 CST 2004

>> QUESTION 1: Can I use METHOD 1 safely with V4WS on Mac OS 9, or do I
>need
>> to use METHOD 2 to avoid problems with simultaneous indexing?
>
>I think you can.
>
>Again. Valentina have record level locks.
>So if cursor of first user lock some records, then second user cannot
access
>them until first unblock them.

V4WS now has record level locks? Since when?? How do I lock records in V4WS
(give example please)?

>But I still do not catch why you do care about indexes?
>You think that they can work in other thread?
>This is true only for VAPP.
>V4WS index in the same thread.

I am worried about two simultaneous threads in V4WS both trying to update
the same index. Do I need to worry about this or does V4WS take care of
this automatically? In other words, can I use METHOD 1 safely?