[VSERVER][V4MD] OSX client slow on server?

Erich Geiersberger erichg at mcmm.com
Tue Nov 23 17:36:55 CST 2004

>  > I have a database with about 1300 records. On program startup I need
>>  to read all 1300 records to build a list for selection. I use:
>>
>>  "Select Nummer, Indikation from Rezepte Order by Indikation"
>>
>>  where Indikation is an indexed VarChar (german) field which can be up
>>  to 350 chars and Nummer is UShort.
>>
>>  This process lasts about 5 seconds on PC and Mac clients and 2
>>  seconds on a PC server with client installed.
>
>The first case you mean -- server and client on different computers?
>
>>  If I install a client on the same OSX machine where the server is
>>  running on, this client needs about 1 minute to read the records.
>>
>>  The OSX server is a G4 Dual 867 with 1 Gig of RAM running 10.2.8.
>>  I have tried to run the server with 100 MB cache, allocate 32 MB on
>>  ValentinaInit but it did not help.
>
>Very strange.
>
>Work on the same computer should be the fastest case.
>May be you have other processes on that computer?
>It is stable result?

No other processes.
And the result is stable.

We alreday recognized it during the first test in january, but I
thought it might be due to work in progress.
Since there aren't too many Mac servers and most of them are
dedicated servers we decided to live with.

At 10:23 Uhr +0100 23.11.2004, Florian Bogeschdorfer wrote:
>What about other requests like simple SELECT or DELETE. Do they take that
>much longer on the server-client than on the client-client? If so it might
>be a TCP/IP routing problem.

No, it seems simple calls work just fine. Since they are very fast I
would only recognize delays if I would run a timer togehter with the
calls.
No obvious delays on simple delete or select.

Erich