[VSERVER] stopping the service

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Nov 19 21:13:40 CST 2004

On 11/19/04 8:01 PM, "Erich Geiersberger" <erichg at mcmm.com> wrote:

Hi Erich,

> I have lost hours yesterday trying to stop the server from my
> Director installer during a server database update.
> The docs say it is stopped using -d which actually seems to
> deactivate the service but leaves the databases in a state where they
> can't be copied.
>
> In the list I found later that the service can be stopped with a -k
> option which seems to work but is not documented. Please update the
> Vserver documentation.

Ok, thank you.

> I am also looking for a possibility to do the same on OSX. How can I
> stop the service on OSX during an update? I know about the
> - open a terminal window
> - log in as admin
> - look for the service
> - kill it
> thing, but that's not a smooth way to go through during a
> software/database update from within another program.
>
> Is there any other way?

I think solution can be next:

1) we need check if command KILL can kill app not by ID but by name also.
    if yes, then you must be able kill from terminal

    kill vserver  -6
        // -6 it is QUITE command (by my memory)
        // so all dbs will be closed

2) second step is to automate this for you.

    you know about shell scripts ?
    you can see example of one in the

    /Library/StartupItems/VServer

    they have special first line,
    and rest lines like you type in terminal.

And final step, when you have such shell script, you must have way CALL IT
from your installer.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com